Certificate in Holocaust Education: August – September
CERTIFICATE IN HOLOCAUST EDUCATION
Continuous Professional Development
A one year part-time programme comprising four modules. Special Purpose Award at NFQ Level 7 carrying 20 ECTs
A Certificate in Holocaust Education providing in-depth tuition on the historical significance and contemporary resonance of the Holocaust. The programme provides participants with information, tools and skills to address this subject in their areas of work, and to develop pedagogic expertise to complement their knowledge. The programme is divided into four modules, all of which must be completed by participants who wish to attain the certificate.
Event: Certificate in Holocaust Education
Duration: One year part-time, August to September
Time: According to each individual programme
Place: Trinity College Dublin and study visits abroad
To apply: Download the application form from the HETI website http://hetireland.org/programmes/teacher-education/certificate-holocaust-education/
Applications should be made through HETI and applicants will be assessed by Trinity College Dublin and HETI under the following criteria.
- Pedagogical approaches to teaching the Holocaust
- Interest/Knowledge of the Holocaust – participants should be able to demonstrate a genuine commitment and interest in the subject
- Innovative teaching approaches that could be integrated into Holocaust education
- Specialist skills in developing interdisciplinary learning
One signed hard copy and one electronic copy should be forwarded to the HETI office prior to the commencement of module one in August.
Fees: €1,995 for registered teachers and includes: university registration, all tuition, travel, hotel accommodation (per person sharing. For applicants who are non registered teachers, the fee is €2,995
This programme may qualify for the Teacher Fee Refund Scheme.
Who is eligible: Teachers, educators, clergy, community and youth workers, members of the Gardai and Defence Forces, others.
NB The modules can also be taken independently of the Certificate in Holocaust Education.
- Teaching the Holocaust, August : Intensive 3 day summer programme
- Learning from the Holocaust (Krakow and Auschwitz-Birkenau): October/ November : 4 day study visit to Krakow and Auschwitz-Birkenau. supported by 2 separate seminar days, in preparation and on reflection afterwards.
- Seminar at Yad Vashem International School (Jerusalem), July: 8 day programme at Yad Vashem International School for Holocaust Studies. Supported by 2 separate seminar days in preparation and reflection.
- Dissertation or Special Project: Participants research an area of particular interest to them while on the Certificate programme. Or, design a Special Project relating to participants’ areas of work.
Assignments: Four assignments to be completed on this programme:
- Two essays (2,000 words each)
- One field diary (up to 250 words each day describing two items of particular interest in the day’s programme.
- Dissertation (5,000 words) or special project.
The certificate in Holocaust Education is administered by HETI in partnership with The Herzog centre, Trinity College Dublin.
For further information, contact the HETI office where staff are on hand to answer queries
E: email@example.com T: +3531 6690593 www.hetireland.org
Course Co-ordinator: Lynn Jackson, BA, MA, HETI Director of Education
Academic Director: Zuleika Rodgers, BA, PhD, Department of Near and Middle Eastern Studies, Director Herzog Centre, Trinity College Dublin
Download Certificate Poster (JPG, 561.90 Kb)
Download Application form (PDF, 193.71 Kb)